BRICKUNDERGROUND TO HOLD MEETUP: “BedBuggedNYC”: Thursday, September 15th, 6:30pm-8:30pm
–Event Co-Hosted by Neighborhood Social Networking Site Romio.com and Sponsored by Bed Bug Fumigation Specialists–
New York, August 22, 2011 –BrickUnderground, http://www.BrickUnderground.com, the online survival guide to finding a NYC apartment and living through the aftermath, has announced its second Meetup event, “BedBuggedNYC.”
The free, panel-style event and Q&A will take place from 6:30pm-8:30 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 15 at the West 23rd Street penthouse headquarters of co-host Romio.com, the neighborhood social networking site.
In-the-know BedbuggedNYC Meetup experts will dispense the practical lowdown on bed bugs, including what bed bugs really look like and where to find them; the best ways to get rid of them; who pays for removal; how to get your landlord or board to do the right thing; and how to deal with the emotional upheaval and social stigma of infestation.
Meetup sponsor Bed Bug Fumigation Specialists will be on hand to explain fumigation using Vikane gas, provide steps to bed bug-proof your next move, and introduce attendees to The Fume Cube, an innovative portable solution for bed bug treatments in a multi-unit urban environment such as New York City. While The Fume Cube has been available and in operation in NYC since 2008, BBFS will introduce a second-generation Fume Cube for the first time at the Meetup.
The BedbuggedNYC panel will be moderated by BrickUnderground’s founder and former New York Times real estate contributor Teri Karush Rogers, who has been reporting on the city’s bed bug epidemic since 2009. Panelists include:
- Gil Bloom, president of Standard Pest Management: An entomologist and pest control operator as well as New York Magazine’s “Best Bedbug Warrior of 2011,” and a former member of Mayor Bloomberg’s Bed Bug Advisory Board, Gil has also provided training to a number of city agencies. Gil will kick off the BedbuggedNYC Meetup with an overview on the essentials of bed bug biology, prevention, detection and banishment of bed bugs.
- Steven Wagner, real estate lawyer, Wagner Davis PC: An attorney extremely familiar with the tactical and legal complexities of blame-placing and exterminating bed bugs in apartment buildings, Steve will explain how to get landlords or boards to properly address a bed bug problem, as well as talk about who is responsible for the cost of extermination and whether a landlord can refuse to rent to you if you had bed bugs in your last home.
- Theresa Braine, journalist, bed bug survivor, and BrickUnderground’s Bedbugged! columnist: Fresh from a seven-year stint working as a journalist in Mexico, Theresa returned to NYC in late 2008, took over her brother’s apartment, and found a jarring surprise: A bed bug infestation. Reflecting on her yearlong battle to get rid of the bugs, Theresa will discuss the emotional and social side effects of having bed bugs, the coping measures that worked for her and what she’d do today if faced with the same situation again.
“The object of this Meetup isn’t to stir up fears, gross people out, or engage in policy debates,” says BrickUnderground’s Rogers. “Our panelists will tell you exactly what you need to know to protect yourself, your family and your neighbors from bed bugs and minimize the financial, social and emotional consequences of an infestation.”
Spots at the Meetup are limited, so participants are strongly advised to register in advance on BrickUnderground’s Meetup page, www.meetup.com/BrickUnderground-NYC-Real-Estate-Meetup/. Light refreshments will be provided by Romio.com.
BrickUnderground.com is the online survival guide to buying, selling, renting and living in a NYC apartment. Content on BrickUnderground is updated three times daily and features smart, originally reported stories on topics that matter to NYC apartment dwellers, seekers and sellers. For more information, please visit http://www.brickunderground.com
Romio’s mission is to efficiently connect people, businesses, organizations, and groups around their interests in the neighborhoods where they live, work and play. Leveraging connection technologies, the social network enables residents to effectively find, follow and support those in their neighborhood who have like-minded interests, offer products and services and work toward solutions to better their communities. Romio launched its first neighborhood social network in New York City in 2011 by CEO Tarik Sansal. www.romio.com
About Bed Bug Fumigation Specialists (BBFS)
Bed Bug Fumigation Specialists is the industry leading Fumigation Treatment Service specializing in bed bugs, termites, clothes moths, powder post beetles and other pest infestations. With over 40 years of collective fumigation experience, BBFS is the company with the record you can count on. Our professionals have safely completed more than 50,000 fumigations in our history, including over 2500 successful bed bug eradications in NYC alone. BBFS is also a recipient of DOW AgroSciences Commitment to Excellence (CTE) award for safely administering Vikane for thousands of customers. For more information, visit www.bedbugfumigators.com.
Once virtually eradicated in the United States, bed bugs have become America’s pest nightmare, especially here in the five boroughs of New York City. Bed bugs are the ultimate hitchhikers, no place is immune from them — homes, apartments, offices, hospitals, assisted living facilities and even five-star hotels. Bed Bugs hide in furniture, mattresses, box springs, bedding, clothing, fine art, musical instruments, books, electronics, computers, photo albums, jewelry boxes, office files, recliners, vinyl records, etc. and can spread from one location to another during a move.
For those individuals, families, students on the move between residences and do not wish to take bed bugs with them, BBFS offers a safe, clean, odorless, convenient, affordable and 100% effective Vikane fumigation service solution. ALL worldly belongings can be safely fumigated with Vikane gas in ONE SINGLE OVERNIGHT service to insure that any Bed Bugs and Bed Bug Eggs are eliminated before moving into a new home or apartment!
How Containerized Fumigation Service works:
- Client hires BBFS partner moving company to organize and move their personal items and delivers truck to BBFS secure facility for overnight fumigation service.
- A certified BBFS fumigation technician will administer and seal Vikane gas fumigant at secure facility overnight fumigation service.
- Moving Company returns following morning picking up truck to move client into new home bed bug free!
- Client contacts any of the major rental companies to rent a truck/van.
- Client contacts BBFS to schedule fumigation services (date/time, type/size of truck, location of fumigation service, pricing, etc.)
- Client loads personal items to be fumigated into rental truck/van and delivers truck/van to secure BBFS facility on scheduled date of service.
- A certified BBFS fumigation technician will administer and seal Vikane gas fumigant inside truck/van at secure facility for overnight fumigation service.
- Client returns to secure BBFS facility the following morning to move to new home bed bug free!
During a move is the perfect time to use Vikane® gas fumigant as Containerized Fumigation is proven to be 100% effective in a single treatment! Pest Control Professionals and their customers have relied on Vikane® gas fumigant for over 50 years to solve the toughest pest problems – drywood termites, wood-destroying organisms, bed bugs and more!
BBFS provides a “One Year Bed Bug Free” warranty with a certified K9 inspection of the clients new home prior to move in.
Find out more about how using Vikane® gas fumigant can eliminate bed bugs during your moves, contact Bed Bug Fumigation Specialists at 877-966-4824 today.
Recently, Habitat Magazine published an interesting article, written by Tom Soter, detailing how Pride Property Management is implementing a new move-in/move-out policy in their buildings to ensure that their for-sale units are free of bed bugs.
These days, Alex Kuffel treats the warning he first heard as a child very seriously: “We used to say, ‘Sleep tight and don’t let the bed bugs bite.’ Bed bugs are a critical problem.”
We’ve all heard that before. We’ve also heard that boards and management must be proactive, and that they must wage an ongoing education campaign to be certain the residents know about bed bugs and how to cope with them. But Kuffel, president of Pride Property Management, is trying something that he thinks is fairly unusual: a move-in/move-out policy that meets the bed bug issue head on.
“A non-refundable $300 fee must… be given to the superintendent to have the apartment inspected by a certified bed bug inspector, for the presence of bed bugs within the apartment,” the April 2010 policy for the 120-unit Manhattan building says. “The apartment will be inspected prior to the move-in and then again after the residents’ contents have been moved into the apartment. In the event bed bugs are found after the resident moves into the apartment, the resident is solely responsible for all costs incurred with abating the bed bugs….” Read More Here
We at BBFS find this very interesting and encouraging, as we have been advocating Source Elimination as part of a larger Integrated Bed Bug Management Plan (IBBMP) since our inception in 2005. In order to successfully create and maintain a bed bug FREE environment in residences and corporate offices, property owners and managers must create a systematic process for 1.)removing existing infestations, 2.) establishing residual pest control treatment techniques and, 3.) practice preventative treatments for all incoming property (including: bedding, furniture, desks, clothing, electronics, etc.).
One way to create a Source Elimination step inside an IBBMP is to integrate fumigation using Vikane fumigant into your property’s delivery schedule. This can be accomplished by either requiring in-transit fumigation of vehicles/trucks OR use a Fume Cube on-site. For more information on creating a successful IBBMP program for yourself, contact BBFS at 877-9NO-ITCH or visit our website.