Schools – Colleges – Universities
As if parents didn’t have enough on their minds. Not only do they need to worry about grades, money and meals when their children head off to college, they also need to worry about bedbugs. Previous colleges and universities to report bed bug cases on- and off-campus have included:
- Stanford University,
- Ohio State,
- Texas A&M,
- University of Florida,
- Wake Forest University
- the City University of New York’s John Jay College of Criminal Justice,
- Northern Illinois University,
- University of Colorado in Boulder,
- and many, many, many more…
Bugs without Beds!
Bed bugs, once nearly eradicated as a common pest, have rapidly become a problem across the United States and around the world.
Bed bug infestations have been found in any structure used by people, and are now commonly reported in: motels, hotels, dormitories, apartments, shelters, schools, transport vehicles and homes. And once inside a structure, bed bugs can be very difficult to eradicate.
Eliminate the Pest & Repeat Treatments
Safely treat all dorm residences, personal property and limit student’s exposure to dangerous residual pesticides.
Avoid the unnecessary loss/disposal of public property such as office furniture, couches, library chairs, books, gym equipment, gym lockers, bus benches and.
Avoid getting bed bugs
To prevent bed bugs from getting into your room, do not bring any used or discarded items into your room. Also, if you were at a location you thought could have bed bugs, inspect everything you brought with you (backpack, luggage, etc.) for the presence of bed bugs. Pay special attention to seams, folds, zippers or any other location that provides the bed bugs with a hiding place. There are many other ways bed bugs can be transported into your room. Visit the BBFS Education sections for more information.
There are other things that collegiates can do to proactively deal with these extra roommates that aren’t on any class roster:
- Strip the dorm room of all bedding and fabric materials then wash everything in very hot water and dry it on HIGH setting for nearly an hour
- Also do a thorough vacuuming of the room, including all noticeable cracks and crevices to suck out any critters that may be hiding.
- Consider sprays and powders. Although these can be effective, they are more time consuming, do not last as long as other approaches and can become pricey, and may not be effective for people who suffer from a various allergies.
- Invest in a mattress encasement. Offering long-lasting protection, these bed liners are easy to use, affordable, and can be very effective in getting rid of bed bugs. They simply slip onto a mattress like a fitted sheet. The other benefit with this strategy is that the liners are compatible with people who have allergies. They are also comfortable, and emit no odor.
- Ensure that the college or university knows if a bed bug problem has been discovered so that more comprehensive measures can be undertaken to sure the bed bug infestation doesn’t spread to other dorm rooms or on-campus facilities.
Who are the Bed Bug Fumigation Specialists?
Bed Bug Fumigation Specialists (BBFS) is the industry leading Fumigation Service company specializing in bed bugs, termites, clothes moths, powder post beetles and other pest infestations.
Our trained and licensed professionals have safely completed more than 50,000 fumigations in our history, including over 2500 successful bed bug eradications in New York City alone.
BBFS is a recipient of DOW AgroSciences Commitment to Excellence (CTE) award for safely administering Vikane for thousands of customers.
Three facts about Vikane explain its special ability to get rid of bed bugs.
- Vikane effective against all life stages of bed bugs, including the difficult-to-control eggs.
- There is no resistance of bed bugs to Vikane.
- Vikane gas fumigant penetrates into cracks and crevices, into furniture and any other hiding places — yes, even into sensitive electronics — to eliminate the pests.
Used by qualified professionals since 1961, Vikane® gas fumigant can eliminate 100% of bed bugs from a few pieces of furniture, bedding or other household goods, to an entire home or building with its contents in place.
Vikane has been used to successfully eradicate pests in more than 2 million structures, including: all types of residences, science and art museums, health care facilities, university research buildings, historic structures, schools and shelters.