BBFS Fumigation Service Prep Guide
Bed Bug Fumigation Service Preparation:
- Bring as few items as possible when leaving the residence, during your overnight fumigation service. Bed bugs are known hitch hikers and can harbor in suitcases, backpacks, boxes, clothing, bedding, etc. You do not want to re-infest your new home!
- For all fabric items that will not be fumigated, wash in hot water and dry on high heat in a dryer, no less than 140 degrees, for the overnight of your fumigation service.
- Place all items for your overnight during fumigation service in plastic bags that have not been stored in the infested residence.
- DO NOT fumigate anything that requires oxygen to breathe such as plants and animals.
- Medicinal items need to be removed, especially if they are over-the-counter medications. Prescription medications, while commonly distributed in airtight containers, should also be inspected then removed from residents for safety’s sake.
- You can fumigate all topical toiletries; shampoo, lotion, soap, cosmetics, deodorant, perfume, shaving products, etc.
- DO NOT fumigate perishable food items that are open and digestible that are in the refrigerator or freezer.
- Baby sealed mattresses or plastic encased mattresses that have been fumigated CANNOT be placed back into the home. If the encasement can be removed, we can fumigate the mattress and you can place it back into your home.
- Pet Cages and bedding should be included in your fumigated items. Pet cages can contain small gaps in which bed bugs could harbor. Pet food needs to be removed. Your pet needs to be transported in a new pet carrier or placed in a bed bug free housing prior to the fumigation. The pets bedding should not accompany the pet unless it has been washed, dried and packed as previously described.
- Use cardboard boxed when packing for the fumigation. If using plastic crates or containers all lids must be removed. The fumigant cannot penetrate plastic.
- “DIY” Movers, we require 20% air space at the top, when loading the rental truck to ensure proper circulation of the fumigant.
- Do not hesitate to ask your BBFS customer service person any additional questions you may have!