Fumigation Service Prep Guide
Bed Bug Fumigation Service Preparation:
- Bring as few items as possible when leaving the residence, during your overnight fumigation service. Bed bugs are known hitch hikers and can harbor in suitcases, backpacks, boxes, clothing, bedding, etc. You do not want to re-infest your new home!
- For all fabric items that will not be fumigated, dry on high heat in a dryer, wash in hot water and dry on high heat in a dryer, no less than 30 to 45 minutes, for the overnight of your fumigation service.
- Place all items for your overnight stay during fumigation service in plastic bags that have not been stored in the infested residence.
- DO NOT fumigate anything that requires oxygen to breath such as plants and/ or animals.
- Medicinal items need to be removed, especially if they are over-the-counter medications. Prescription medications, while commonly distributed in airtight containers, should also be inspected then removed from residents for safety’s sake.
- You can fumigate all kitchen items; pots, pans, dishes, glass ware, silverware as well as all toiletries; shampoo, lotion, soap, cosmetics, deodorant, perfume, shaving products, lip stick, as well as all electronics, computers, laptops, cell phones, sound equipment, vinyl records, DVDs, CDs, photos, photo albums, photography equipment, artwork, art supplies, antiques, paintings, apparel, fine materials, purses, shoes, gowns, suits, furniture, medical items, musical instruments, etc.
- DO NOT fumigate perishable food items that are in the refrigerator or freezer.
- All children’s items can be safely fumigated, toys, electronics, clothing, shoes, beds, bedding, etc.
- Pet Cages and bedding should be included in your fumigated items. Your pet needs to be transported in a new pet carrier or placed in a bed bug free housing prior to the fumigation. The pets bedding should not accompany the pet unless it has been washed, dried and packed as previously described.
- Use cardboard boxed when packing for fumigation service. NO, you DO NOT need to put holes in the boxes! Vikane gas passes right though the cardboard and the content inside! If using plastic crates or containers all lids must be removed. The fumigant cannot penetrate plastic.
- “DIY” Rental Truck Movers, we require 18 inches of clearance from front to back at the top of the truck, when loading the rental truck to ensure proper circulation of the fumigant.
- Do not hesitate to ask your BBFS customer service assistant any additional questions you may have!