Vikane (Sulfuryl Fluoride)
What is Vikane® gas fumigant?
Vikane is a colorless, odorless gas that quickly penetrates structural materials and personal belongings during whole-structure fumigation. Vikane, backed by nearly 50 years of university research, practical use and published reports is nonstaining, noncorrosive and nonflammable. Vikane quickly dissipates from the structure into the atmosphere and does not damage the ozone layer.
Vikane is the only product that is proven 100% effective in controlling all stages of bed bug life including the difficult egg stages. This product has been proven effective by third party scientists. Bed Bugs currently show no resistance to Vikane when it is applied according to label directions by a Pest Management Professional. Fumigation with Vikane is so successful due to the fact it circulates throughout an entire contained area and interferes with the ability of the bugs and eggs to absorb required oxygen to sustain life, completely killing all bed bugs and their eggs in a single treatment. Household items, such as clothes, linens, dishes, cooking utensils, electronics and toys do not need to be washed off after the fumigation. No surface residue, odor or film is left behind. Vikane does not damage electronics, antiques or sensitive fabrics.
Will Vikane® gas fumigant cause damage to my home?
Vikane® gas fumigant does not react with materials and is unlikely to cause damage. Your licensed, trained fumigation professional will inspect your property to help ensure that your contents will not be affected.
Does Vikane® gas fumigant negatively affect the ozone layer?
No. Sulfuryl fluoride, the active ingredient in Vikane® gas fumigant, is not an ozone-depleting chemical. Vikane contains no chlorine or bromine and, thus, does not deplete stratospheric ozone by the known mechanisms. When a structure is aerated, Vikane rapidly dissipates to non-detectable levels.
In 2002 Dow AgroSciences was awarded the Stratospheric Ozone Protection Award by the United States Environmental Protection Agency. This award recognizes extraordinary achievements, international leadership and innovation in preserving the ozone layer.
History of Vikane (Sulfuryl Fluoride)
Vikane (Dougals Products) has been commercially available since the early 1960s and was introduced for the elimination of dry-wood termites in residential and comercial structures.
Sulfuryl fluoride is a true gas fumigant. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) considers sulfuryl fluoride a Restricted Use product. It may only be applied by or under the supervision of a trained, certified applicator. Extensive worker and bystander safety precautions are included as part of the training process and must be followed during any fumigation. However, based on the uses for this product, the public could potentially be exposed through:
– Workplace exposure – Applicators may be exposed to sulfuryl fluoride while applying the fumigant. However, the label requires use of specific Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), fumigation procedures, fumigant detection equipment, and clearance procedures to minimize potential exposure. Exposure could occur in facilities that manufacture, package or handle sulfuryl fluoride. Those working in manufacturing operations could be exposed during maintenance, sampling, testing, or other procedures. Each facility has thorough training programs for employees and appropriate work processes, ventilation, and safety equipment in place to protect against exposure. See Health Information and Product Label.
– Consumer exposure to products containing sulfuryl fluoride – Residents reoccupence is not permitted until detection equipment demonstrates that fumigant levels have declined to levels approved by Regulatory agencies. See Health Information.
– Environmental releases – The bioconcentration potential of sulfuryl fluoride is low and the potential for mobility in soil is very high. Sulfuryl fluoride is readily biodegradable and is not expected to persist in soil and water. It would be removed by biological wastewater-treatment facilities. Following fumigation and ventilation of treated structures, it is not likely that non-target organisms would be exposed to residual sulfuryl fluoride or that it would leach into groundwater. Please consult the country-specific Safety Data Sheet or Product Label for more information about protective equipment and procedures. See Environmental, Health, and Physical Hazard Information.
– Large release – Industrial releases are infrequent and generally contained. If a large release does occur, evacuate the area immediately and stay upwind. Personnel engaged in clean-up of spills must wear appropriate protective equipment. Consult the country-specific Safety Data Sheet or Product Label for more detailed information about protective equipment and procedures. See Environmental, Health, and Physical Hazard Information.
– In case of fire – Sulfuryl fluoride is not combustible. If a fire occurs, keep people away. Use firefighting methods and equipment appropriate to the surrounding materials. Firefighters should wear positive-pressure, self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) and protective firefighting clothing. Toxic and irritating gases and fumes can be released. Consult the country-specific Product Label and Safety Data Sheet for specific firefighting measures. Follow emergency procedures carefully. See Environmental, Health, and Physical Hazard Information.
– Emergency Response Information – In case of an emergency such as poisoning, product spillage, or fire associated with a Douglas Products in the United States call 800-992-5994 (more information is available at http://www.dowagro.com/rc/response/na.htm). For emergencies outside the U.S., access http://www.dowagro.com/re/response/index.htm for a list of country sites or contact pages for relevant information.
This company has implemented over 50,000 successful fumigations and represents one of a very few who have received Douglas Products “Commitment to Excellence” award for their superlative safety and long-term success record.
Every fumigation administered is using Douglas Products VIKANE branded product and is approved for safe use in this capacity. All BBFS applications use DP’s Vikane fumigant exclusively. All fumigations administered are “shot” by the state certified professionals from Bed Bug Fumigation Specialists or it’s partners.
For more information on Vikane, download this 2010 Sulfuryl Fluoride Product Safety Assessment from the Douglas Products, manufacturer of Vikane gas fumigant.
From the National Pesticide Information Center (NPIC), which is a cooperative agreement between Oregon State University and the United States EPA, here are a NPIC Vikane Fact Sheet and NPIC Vikane Tech Sheet.